Monday 24 June 2013

#2 ❁ the 'ice-breaker' situation

Hello my little lovelies,

I've decided to talk about meeting new people, as today was my sixth form induction/ice-breaker afternoon.

Being thrown into a group with people i'd never met before having no idea what to expect from the day was daunting in itself. Taking part in various 'get to know you' activities did not make the situation any better. I'm not sure the school quite understood how people bond with each other. Forcing strangers to sit together and giving them the vague instruction 'tell each other about yourselves' is not an effective way of getting people to mingle and make friends, especially when the majority already have established friend groups. Neither is cutting people off to start a new task just as conversations were getting going.
Now I can be socially awkward around the best of people, friends, family ect. so putting me in this position absolutely terrified me. I could have done a better job organising the day myself. SO, I'm making it my mission to join the leadership team at the start of term in hopes that I can change these ice-breaker days keeping their discomfort to a minimum having experienced being thrown in the deep end.

The day wasn't all doom and gloom through. The girls that I did (briefly though it was) get chatting to were really nice, and do you know why we bonded so well? because we had something to talk about, a shared interest or something to discuss rather than just stating random facts about ourselves. That's how you get to know people and that's how I've made such solid relationships with some amazing friends.

❀ Always, Deanna ❀


No comments:

Post a Comment