Monday 25 November 2013

#9 ❁ Vanity Sizing

Scrolling down my news feed on Facebook I came across a post from Business of Fashion which led me to THIS post mentioning a term I hadn't come across before...




'Vanity Sizing'

This is where over time clothing has remained the nominal size (eg,8,14,S,L) however it's physical size has increased over time.





This caught me thinking about when I bought this cardigan from the vintage section whilst thrift shopping...
It was labelled as a size 12 and being an 8 I, without second thought, bought the cardigan to wear oversized. Upon taking it home and trying the article on I was baffled as to why it had such a snug fit. Is vanity sizing the cause of my cosy cardigan conundrum?




This also brings up the point of Marilyn Monroe. Now don't get me wrong she was an amazing woman however she is often used to support the idea that plus size women* can still be successful in public careers. unknowing to supporters, the reality is size inflation**.



Bearing in mind also that clothing sizes differ from brand to brand it's interesting to see what each shop makes their standardized shape and measurement. It just goes to show that everyone has a different view of what is 'perfect' in this world.
I feel enlightened by finding out about Vanity Sizing, It makes the dilemma of having to try on clothes so much more understandable.

❁Always Deanna❁

*I hate using the term 'plus size' or even categorising women who are of a bigger size, there is no need to for this sort of segregation. Women are women and you can look and feel amazing no matter what shape,size, colour, creed you are! #amen #goodday
**Refer to * and think of all the successful women around today, Adele, Rebel Wilson and more!


No comments:

Post a Comment